Friday, March 8, 2013

Day 009 - Joppa to Baltimore MD

Awoke in Ambler, PA to see that the three day storm still had some life. We had gotten an inch of snow. It was snowing until we drove into Delaware heading for the start of the walk.

I spent the past five nights with dear friends Ron and Janet Nelson who were the former President and First Lady of the Liberty Bell Wanderers for a decade or so. I could not have been treated better at a 5-star B&B. After dropping off my car and positioning me in Joppa they joined me for the beginning of the walk.

The weather started similar to yesterday but it became almost completely overcast by the end of the walk. I walked near the White Marsh Mall where Joan and I had done an AVA walk in December of 2009 with Ron & Janet. One of the checkpoints for the walk was how many kiosks were in the mall. We all came up with different answers because we all had a different opinion of what constituted a kiosk.

On a trip to Annapolis last year I had been doing some scouting of this section of Route 40. I spotted a Stewart's Root Beer stand. I worked as a car hop at a Stewart's Root Beer stand in high school and had been looking forward to a corn dog and root beer for months. It does not open for another five days and will be closed when I return. Life is not fair.

Reminder that Days 10 & 11 will be modified. I will cutover to the original National Road on Edmondson Ave in the Ten Hills section of Baltimore. My start point for Day 11 will be the Candle Light Inn at Frederick Road and N Rolling Rd in Catonsville MD. Some people will be joining us there at 10 AM to walk. Remember to set you clocks ahead.

1 comment:

  1. White Marsh Mall is familiar to me .... I do believe I've spent a few bucks there!

    ReplyDelete